Sunday, July 1, 2012

Why i am the parent i am!!


Why I chose to be the parent I am



I remember my parents giving me the curse “you will get back three times the problems that you caused us!”  Nine years later I have to disagree. I started by having my daughter at 18. I listened to everyone’s advice but my own. I let doctors convince me I was not good enough to make choices medically for my child and I let family tell me how to fill in the other pieces. I did the cry-it-out method… I did the bottle feeding… I did the path that most said was easy. I hated hearing my daughter scream in bed and the proceed to vomit. I hated listen to her cry when I would put her down and walk away. I was basically saying “ I have cared for you enough, you handle your life on your own.” I am sickened by the memory.  Two years after she was born I had my son. By then I had the idea that I would stand up for my rights and raise my child the way I wanted. At his birth I did not let him go far (even though I fought to have him on my chest). I breastfed him even though they tried to shove bottles into his mouth and I co slept against hospital policy. He was mine I didn’t want anything but the best for him! He ended up being sick most of his infancy, but our bond kept him strong. I had my youngest son when my oldest was 2 years old. This time i knew the risks of circumcision, this time I was ready to turn down the loads of vaccinations.. I continued to co-sleep, baby-wear and breastfeed… my youngest is 10 months now and I am sure that all of my children know that they are well loved.

Why did I choose to be the parent I am?  Why do I co-sleep, breastfeed, delay vaccinations, no circ, baby wear and lastly why do I attachment parent?

I see there is so much we are not teaching and doing with our children.. I lived at a children’s home at one point in my life and saw the product of a motherless and fatherless childhood. I saw how most of the children were like little zombies. Most of them had no emotion and would fight constantly. I swore to myself then that if I ever had children, they would know I loved them! When my second child was born I did the exact opposite of the world and saw that there is so much to be learned! That’s why I am what I am and I believe what I believe ! I think that mutilating a baby boys penis is horrible!!!  It is it rips him of his right to have a normal and more pleasurable sex life. Moms you are cutting away nerves and precious flesh!!! Don’t fight with me about religion and other reasons because I know where I stand.  I co-sleep next to my sweet little ones.. I have a family Bed!!!  I know most would shove in my face that my kids are spoiled and I will never get a night to myself and that I am risking rolling over on my infant son.. I have done this before and I know that there is a safe way to co-sleep and a not so safe way to co sleep and I take every precaution. I see how happy my children are when they wake up.. They will smile and play and wake me and my husband up!!  There is nights when we move them into the front so we can have some time to ourselves and when we have our time we move them all back in!! I baby-wear! I love it !! I love holding my son close to me! I love to be able to smell his sweet baby skin and I am sure he loves the warmth and cuddles.. He screams at the end of the day when I take him out. He loves to be close to mommy!!  I do not allow my children to have multiple vaccines; I have delayed my children’s vaccinations! I do not believe a child should be stabbed by 7 needles and injected with loads of toxins in one sitting!!  I breastfeed!!!! I love the closeness of it all. I love knowing that my infant son will be healthy and have a lower risk of diabetes and being overweight. Lastly I am a AP ( attachment parent) . I love the fact that my children will know my love and not my voice.. I am glad my kids will learn my love with hugs instead of my distaste with spankings. I want them to know that the world may be dark and mean , but as a mom I can bring them love and comfort!! 



Why did I choose this…. Why would I go against the norm?

Because the norm is not working and our world is slowly slipping … here is to a better world for our babies..!!!







Written by Mary Kaitlyn Richardson

BLOG: Calling Motherhood ©

No comments:

Post a Comment